Article – Pacific Media Watch
Journalists in Kiribati have called on the government to bring back Kiribati TV. Editors of Uekera and Newstar newspapers said government must do something about the only television for the country.KIRIBATI: ‘Bring back TV in Kiribati’ plea by journalists
Tarawa, April 24, 2013 – Journalists in Kiribati have called on the government to bring back Kiribati TV. Editors of Uekera and Newstar newspapers said government must do something about the only television for the country.
“If government bodies cannot run our TV, then it must consider handing it over to private businesses,” said Tibwere Bobo, editor of Kiribati Newstar.
“TV is part of development where people receive a diversity of programmes and views about things that happen in their country or overseas,” said Tearinibeia Eno Teabo, editor of Te Uekera newspaper.
“When I worked there, I could see that there were not enough equipment to produce the programme despite numerous requests to the government for assistance,” Timeon Ioane said, former manager of Kiribati TV programming team.
Timeon claimed that government was aware of the TV’s situation but didn’t do anything until it came to a point where closure was its only option.
The former editor of Kiribati Newstar, Ngauea Uatioa, said Kiribati TV closed down because those who set it up in the first place didn’t do their homework.
“Projects like this one requires research and thorough planning,” he said.
Government shut down Kiribati TV last month due to serious financial problems. Kiribati TV was set up in 2004.