Press Release – Murray Molloy
Internationally acclaimed Irish sword swallower Murray Molloy will perform his mind blowing version of the ancient Indian art of sword swallowing in Auckland between the 25th and 28nd of January 2013 starting his nationwide tour which will see him …*** PRESS RELEASE ***
*** FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION ***
Internationally acclaimed Irish sword swallower Murray Molloy will perform his mind blowing version of the ancient Indian art of sword swallowing in Auckland between the 25th and 28nd of January 2013 starting his nationwide tour which will see him perform in Auckland International Buskers festival, Nelson Buskerburgoo, and the NZ Fringe festival in Wellington. Murray Molloy is not a magician, he really does swallow the sword and is willing to let interviewers remove the sword from him to verify the reality of this amazing feat!!!
Auckland, 22 January 2013. Murray Molloy has been performing and traveling all over the world from Australia to Laos and Portugal to Fiji, for more than fifteen years. He has performed on the street, in bars, clubs and festivals, in front of tribal chiefs and in the legendary Jim Rose Circus in America and the Edinburgh fringe festival. He has studied yoga in the spiritual capital of India, Benares and clown with the famous Jango Edwards in Barcelona. He currently lives in Spain where he is exploring new fusions with cutting edge creators from diverse fields.
“You are too funny!” Satnam Singh Sandhu – Chancellor of Chandigarh university.
“The kids got charisma!” Jim Rose.
One of only one hundred sword swallowers actually performing on the planet and of these one of twenty five that swallow curved swords and one of ten that swallow multiple swords at once! His repetoire also includes: Escapology, clown, comedy, fire manipulation, fakirism, pirotechnics and contortionism.
At the last count, there were less than a hundred sword swallowers on the planet of these less than half are dedicated to professionaly performing.
• More than 2,249 people have sucessfully climbed Mt. Everest since 1953.
• More than 1,000 people have run the four minute mile more than 4,700 times since 1954.
• More than 750 astonauts have flown in space since 1961.
• More than 2.1 millon people do parachute jumps every year.
Medical influence and curiosities about sword swallowing.
• The art of sword swallowing is more than 4000 years old, it traces its origins to India around 2000BC
• A normal person swallows about 600 times per day – 350 times while awake, 200 times during meals and 50 times while sleeping.
• A normal swallow uses more than 50 pairs of muscles and can take from three to twenty-three seconds to complete.
• Sword swallowers use mind over matter to repress the gag reflex, the peristalsis reflex in the throat and the stomach retching reflex to swallow swords that can measure up to 72 cm’s.
• The art of sword swallowing can take between two and seven years to learn, and some people even after years of training are unable to learn.
• Sword swallowers association Internacional claim that every year there are between five and seven accidents that require hospitalisation, and many more that go unreported.
• The treatment of injuries from sword swallowing can cost between 50,000 and 70,000€.
“An Excellent show” Dr. Karamjeet Singh Sra – Chief executive officer Mueseum of sikh history.
Murray Molloy will be available for interviews about the shows and tour, for articles and any other related press enquiries in Auckland from now until the 28th and for telephone and email interviews from the date of reception of this mail.
Please send an email for a copy of the dossier or download it along with high resolution Photographs, CV, FAQ and more on the downloads page of www.mmolloy.tk