- Pacific.scoop.co.nz - http://pacific.scoop.co.nz -
Mayoral Fund for the Pacific
Posted By admin On January 30, 2013 @ 4:18 pm In Pacific Press Releases | No Comments
Press Release – Office of the Mayor of Auckland
News Release 30 January 2013 Mayoral Fund for the Pacific Mayor Len Brown has established a fund for Auckland to assist with emergency preparedness and rebuilding in the Pacific, in the wake of Cyclone Evan. The Mayor convened an emergency forum immediately after …News Release
30 January 2013
Mayoral Fund for the Pacific
Mayor Len Brown has established a fund for Auckland to assist with emergency preparedness and rebuilding in the Pacific, in the wake of Cyclone Evan.
The Mayor convened an emergency forum immediately after Cyclone Evan late last year, drawing together council, government, NGO, church and community groups to discuss a coordinated response to cyclone damage in Samoa and Fiji.
Len Brown made a commitment at the forum to establish a fund to support preparedness in Auckland’s Pacific partner countries in the face of frequent devastating storms and cyclones.
“Auckland is a major Pacific city, and it is appropriate that we help our Pacific communities to assist their communities in the islands,” says Len Brown.
“The forum guided a coordinated and integrated multi-agency response, led by MFAT, so we could clearly identify the needs of the affected islands and each agency and group could respond in a way reflecting their expertise and resources.”
“This new fund will enable Auckland corporate and community sponsors to support preparedness across the Pacific. I hope we will raise sufficient funds over time to also assist in rebuild projects where appropriate.”
The fund will be administered independently by the Auckland Communities Foundation.
For the next three months, all funds raised via the Mayoral Fund will be split 50/50 between long-term funding of preparedness for the Pacific and for Cyclone Evan responses.
The Mayor has committed $10,000 to the cyclone response, part of which was used to cover the land transport costs of three containers full of relief parcels to and from the port before they were shipped overseas courtesy of Reef Shipping. The remainder will go into the Mayoral Fund.
Len Brown envisages that this fund will complement government and NGO relief funds, and support long-term preparedness and rebuilding where appropriate. Sources of funds may include corporate, community and individual donations and fundraising activities.
• Online payments can be made to ASB Bank account number 12-3028-0714703-000, including the references ACF – Pacific – Donor surname or organisation name.
• Cheques can be sent directly to: Mayoral Fund for the Pacific, c/- Auckland
Communities Foundation, PO Box 200-114 Papatoetoe Central, Auckland 2156, including the references ACF – Pacific – Donor surname or organisation name.
• A tax receipt can be provided by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org  and providing the
above references and full name and address of donor or donor organisation.
From February 4, online donations with automatic tax receipting can be made via the Auckland Communities Foundation website www.aucklandcf.org.nz  using PayPal (incurring PayPal administration charges).
• The fund will be independently administered by the Auckland Communities Foundation, which has extensive experience in philanthropic fund administration.
• The fund will be overseen by an appointed board of advisors, in the process of being appointed. Names will be available upon requested after appointment is confirmed.
• The Mayoral Fund for the Pacific will specifically fund preparedness and appropriate rebuild projects in Pacific countries which have a formal relationship with New Zealand or formal partnership with Auckland.
• The fund will distribute money in response to strong application and expert advice on identified needs.
• After a major Pacific weather event, any funds raised within three months of the event will be split 50/50 between the general fund (for distribution across the Pacific Islands) and specific responses in the affected island/s.
Article printed from Pacific.scoop.co.nz: http://pacific.scoop.co.nz
URL to article: http://pacific.scoop.co.nz/2013/01/mayoral-fund-for-the-pacific/
URLs in this post:
 email@example.com: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
 www.aucklandcf.org.nz: http://www.aucklandcf.org.nz/
 scoop.co.nz: http://www.scoop.co.nz/
 Original url: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK201301/S00599.htm
Copyright © 2009 pacific. All rights reserved.